Monday, August 29, 2011

More School or No?

I have been thinking about it and I think it would be great to do more school but there are so many factors and I don't really know anything about it. Can you help me out? What exactly is a Master's Degree? Where should I go? How do I pay for it? Are online schools good? What should I study I was thinking about a teaching degree?? Is it weird to get an Associate Degree after getting a Bachelor's? I was thinking about just getting an Office Management Associate's degree because I love organizing and really like working in offices and I get to learn computer programs to help me. Do you think this would be a good option? If you know the answer to any of these you should let me know! I am confused by so many choices. Especially my bros should know what is good :)

1 comment:

Steve said...

President Hinckley used to challenge us to get all the education we can get. I think that means formal education (going to school to get degrees) as well as informal (learning on our own or on the job). I think you would learn and grow a lot from getting more formal education. If you can find something you are passionate about, you will find a way to pay for it. There are people at most colleges/universities whose job is to help you find ways to pay for school. The least desirable option is to get student loans. There are other options like scholarships and grants that you may be able to get. In Laurel's case, she got her master's degree, even though it was expensive because she felt it was the right thing to do. She felt bad about bringing student loan debt into our marriage, but we found a way to pay them off. So if you pray and feel it is right to go back to school, then "do what is right, let the consequences follow." It can be hard to know what you will really enjoy. I waited 5 years to go back to school until I felt the time and situation were right. I'm not saying you should wait that long, but for me it worked out well to wait until I knew what I wanted to do. But I definitely wouldn't wait just to wait. I think that getting a master's degree in a lot of fields would allow you to teach at the high school or community college level. You might be surprised how many teachers in colleges have a master's but no PhD. If you really love working in an office, an associate's degree specializing in that field certainly wouldn't hurt. But professional schools like that can be pretty expensive and may not give you a great bang for your buck. Since you already have a bachelor's degree, you should be able to find an office job that you like, and then you can learn on the job. Sometimes they'll even pay you to take classes. A few other fields you might be interested in looking into are: speech-language pathology, educational counseling, or dental hygiene. I could see you being really good at these because they require you to work with people, and you are focused on helping people. I've known several people who have done these professions and enjoyed them a lot. And they pay pretty well, too. Let me know if you want to talk more about this stuff.